Saturday 20 January 2007

little steps

I took my youngest daughter ice skating today. An outdoor rink outside the natural history museum in Kensington. I was so happy to be able to do it. Its such a (relatively small), normal thing, but it was really important to me because it was keeping a promise I had made 2 weeks ago.
Slowly and patiently, I taught her to skate.
She wanted to rush off on her own immediately, but I encouraged her to hold my hand.
It was wonderful.
I heard myself saying, over and over again ...
"you can still go fast if you move your feet slowly" ......
Eventually the significance of what I was saying hit me! Nothing too deep, nothing too profound, but very apt, especially for me. At the moment. In the moment. A day at a time .....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Stopping in from a friends blog. Hello my name is Gwen (TwelveBeads)

Loved ice skating as a girl. Use to wear the pretty skating outfits and white skates with pom poms tied to the laces.

A day at a time indeed.

Enjoy ~
Gwen

Meg Moran said...

wow...I love those little moments when our head goes "pop!'

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Cool. nice to meet you matthew! sounds like you had a good day. The insights never stop coming if we remain teachable, even after many sober years.

Anonymous said...

This gave me goosebumps.
From one Mother to another,
keep true to your heart.Even when that daughter of yours wants to skate on her own,she will know her Mom is still there watching out for her.Beautiful post..keep sharing.Thanks!

Carly said...

Hi Matthew, nice to meet you!

Keeping promises is a huge change for me too! What a gift to your little girl. Loved reading about your quiet "aha" moment.